Sunday, March 29, 2015

Soap Carving - Additive/Subtractive Process

Start of the Process


1. Subtractive - First off, I cut off all four corners of the sculpture with a butter knife.



2. Subtractive - I blew the carving with a blow torch, it created bubbles on the surface, and left a brown, hazy color on it.


3. Subtractive - I ran it under cold water directly after the blow torch, hoping for some sort of reaction. It really just smoothed out the surface.


4. Subtractive - I drilled a hole through the carving, using a drill gun.



5. Subtractive - Next, I ran the carving under boiling water for 3 minutes. I didn't want to lose the complete form of the sculpture, and wanted to keep it all in one piece.


The boiling took away some aspects that I liked, mostly the blow torch effect. So I decided to roast it for one more time before doing any additive processes. I thought how the blow torch effected the soap looked better than a smoother style.


6. Additive - The first additive method that I did was pour blue drawing ink over the sculpture, and spattered green ink with a paint brush.


7. Additive - From there, I stuck small pins used in the Architecture Relief project into the carvings face and head.


8. Additive - The next additive process that i did to my sculpture was spray painting only one side of it, with black paint.


9. Additive - After the paint dried, I cut a long piece of orange yarn, and used the push pins in the head, as well as the rest of the body to wrap it up and tie it off.


10. Additive - Lastly, I took a long green paper clip, bent it into a zig zag, and stuck it into the sculpture.












No comments:

Post a Comment